Sunday 29 January 2017

The Meaning of Michelle #BOOKREVIEW

(Source: http://images.macmillan.com/folio-assets/macmillan_us_frontbookcovers_1000H/9781250114969.jpg)

Welcome to a new post!

Last week as I was browsing for the next book that I would like to read, it was also the time that my timeline was spammed with Michelle Obama pictures and videos, mainly because of the inauguration.
I am not the type of person that typically reads autobiographies, but I somehow still found myself googling them, because for some reason I was just so curious to find out more about her. I love browsing people on Wikipedia, but I still wasn't sure about reading a full biography about here which could easily talk about lots of things that aren't true.

However I randomly found this new book that had literally just come out, and I thought it sounded so interesting. If you are in any way interested in Michelle Obama, her past and the things the amazing things that she did whilst evolving into this powerful woman we all know as the ex First Lady of the United States, then definitely keep on reading.

I have to mention though, that me being only 18 years old and not having grown up in Germany, I have practically no memories of former Presidents or First Ladies. Obviously I am now educated about it, but I couldn't tell you now how I felt about their way of influencing the country in the way that I can with Barack and Michelle Obama.
And even with them, I don't know much about their beginnings in the White House. I was only 9 or 10 years old when they moved in, and definitely not interested in anything politics.

Considering that though I still remember my dad making me watch the news, and them showing the candidates. I don't know whether I ever told my parents out loud, but I clearly remember thinking: ,, This guy looks nice. I hope he wins." You might be thinking, why the hell am I telling you this, but I am pretty happy that I still remember this moment, because it shows that I have been raised the right way concerning prejudices against people because of the colour of their skin, if I might say so. 

There were a lot of people that still had a lot of prejudices against the Obamas even if or when they got elected, even if a lot of people think racism is a topic of the past, not the 21st century. Especially during their second period in the White House, I feel like I have gotten a lot better understanding of them, and I don't think I am the only one.
I have come slightly obsessed with them, and even though I don't really know much about the political side of things why some people aren't big fans of Barack Obama, I still wish I could keep them in that spot. And I am not only saying that because I am not a fan of the new President of the United States.
I feel like the Obamas are such nice people, and especially Michelle has really inspired me in the past like two years. I could literally sit there for hours and just watch videos of her being on Ellen or re-watching her carpool karaoke episode with James Corden.


If Michelle Obama has inspired you in any way or you're just interested in her as a human and the things she did, here's a book you might enjoy, because I definitely did. The book I am talking about is called 'The Meaning of Michelle'. The book was edited by Veronica Chambers, and actually is not like the usual biography at all. In fact, 15 different writers have their own say about Michelle Obama and their experiences concerning her, most of them also including some stories from their personal lives and talking about how she inspired them and how Michelle herself evolved over the years in the White House.
You can get the book for 22,99€ on Amazon as a hard cover version or for around 13€ for your Kindle, which I think is quite a good price concerning how much the hard cover is (although I think with such a pretty cover I would definitely love to get the hard cover version one day just to display haha).

I actually don't want to get too deep into the actual content of the book, so I am going to tell you some basic facts about it and my general opinion on it. Considering that this isn't a story and most of the authors talk about totally different topics and tell different stories of their own, that would probably give too much away anyway.

But that's basically what it is, several different people talk about their experiences in life and along side that talk about Michelle's experiences, how she has changed over the years and how they inspired her. Some facts are mentioned more often, but in general everyone is talking about something else in some way, and not everyone that has written a piece about her has actually met her, so you can see different sides of experiences here.
There are articles by married couples, articles from people that worked at Hamilton or have experienced something similar to being a First Lady themselves. Some are just normal working mums, some talk about her fashion, others have gone through very similar experiences in their younger years as her and others have moved to Japan with their families and have still been inspired by her.

I have to be honest when I say that were one or two articles that I didn't enjoy as much as the others, but apart from that I have found it to be so interesting and educating at the same time. I love how the writers didn't purely talk about the things that have happened to Michelle and the things she has done for the world and America, but really showed in what and how many different ways she actually had and still has an impact on people's life.

It's not my favourite book, but I would still give it 4 out of 5 stars if I had to rate it. I think it's definitely a really nice read if you're interested in Michelle Obama and her road of inspiration, but also if you are just looking for a quick and slightly different read in between when you just don't really feel like starting another Science Fiction or Romantic novel. 

So what do you think? Is it a book you could be interested in? Or have you read anything similar that me or someone else reading this might like? :)

I really hope you enjoyed this post, have a great day ♥


Love, Jacqueline Xx


P.S. All rights for the picture used above goes to it's rightful owner! I do not claim any copyright for it! I am not using this picture to gain money, but purely for fun and inspiration!

No comments:

Post a Comment