Monday 8 February 2016

Sticking to Your Fitness Goals



 Welcome to a new post!

I knew I wanted to make a fitness related post, but I didn't want it to be the typical post where I tell you how you get slim and healthy in three seconds or something like that. I ended up with the idea of telling you my tips on sticking to your fitness goals. I have tried my best not to come up with the ones that everyone has already told you tons of times on other blogs, youtube or whatever.

Sticking to your fitness goals doesn't sound quite as hard once you've come up with that idea, but then you find yourself snuggled up in bed again with cookies, crisps, fries or whatever, thinking about working out, but not ending up doing anything. I know there are a lot of people who have that problem, especially after New Years when they made it their goal to finally work out.
I have personally had that struggle, but finally found a way to overcome it somehow, and now I have been sticking to a proper schedule for a year, which is quite good for me. I tried sticking to it twice, and once completely failed after doing a 7 minute workout every day for four months, and once after doing it for 1 and a half months, but then picked it up again.

So here is what I find helpful, to now stop working out.


1) SPICE AND CHANGE IT UP

If you keep doing the same moves all of the time, you will immediately get bored of it and not feel motivated anymore to actually work out. Change it up from time to time, don't focus on doing the same things all the time. Make it harder, the further you get with your workouts. Try new workout guides, videos, routines, courses - basically everything that comes up to your mind. Don't wait until all your motivation is lost, if you feel getting bored of the moves, find something new.

I personally find the Blogilates calendars quite amazing, as the workout videos you have to do change every day and every month. Kayla Itsines's workouts are a bit pricey, but they are really hard and work pretty well, which might make you see your goals a bit faster than with Blogilates. Also the Nike + app is really cool, as there are quite a few different workouts for different fitness levels and goals, and it's also for free.

2) WRITE IT DOWN

Print your routine out or write it down. Keeping it in front of your face will remind you of the things that you have set as your goal. That way you keep it on your mind a little bit longer than just thinking about it.
Try it out, especially when you are just starting out. I did it, and now I don't even need to do it anymore, as it has become a complete part of my routine, which I always keep in mind, no matter what I plan.

3)  GO TO CLASSES

Have a look at your local gym and see what kind of classes they teach. I think basically every gym does it, and there is something for everyone to do. Even when you aren't feeling motivated, going to a class will motivate you when you see all those other people working out next to you and with you. Try it. If you don't want to go alone, go grab a friend, and it will be even more fun.

4) HAVE A ROUTINE

Come up with a routine, to be sure to stick to working out. It doesn't have to be planned out from the first second, but setting certain days and a certain time where you want to start makes it easier for you to plan your day and still find time for working out.
Don't forget rest days either! Have at least one a week for your body to rest, which it really will need after days and days of hard work.

5) BUY NEW GYM CLOTHES

Buying new gym clothes and looking at all of them in shop can really motivate you to actually do something. I mean who doesn't like a new set of clothes and gets exited to wear them, let's be honest! So try that with gym clothes, and it might work a hell of a lot than many other things.

6) GET INSPIRED

Read, watch, shop, everything that comes to your mind. Getting inspiration online, especially on WeHeartIt and Youtube, is personally something that really helps me a lot. By seeing other people succeeding in the things you want to achieve and do can really put you into a better mood, especially when you feel like working out, but don't. It doesn't mean that you should compare yourself to others, not at all, but taking it as a motivation to actually get your bum up is quite a nice thing to do.

7) TAKE PICTURES

Looking at before and after pictures is probably the best thing ever. You don't notice the difference as much when you are looking at your body from day to day, but when you actually see a difference in pictures, it really gives you the feeling that you have actually achieved something, and it will make you want to work even harder. 

8) DON'T LEAVE BUSY DAYS OUT

Of course you need to prioritize, but just because you feel like you have so many things to do, doesn't mean you should always leave out your workout. Actually, I find working out on stressy days quite relaxing, as it lets my mind concentrate on something else for a little while at least. Try to do a little workout at least, even if it's just ten minutes. A workout is a workout. 



I really hope these tips where at least a tiny bit helpful, even if they weren't the most original ones. I personally find these points quite important for myself to maintain my routine and stick to my goals to achieve them. Seeing results is the most motivating thing ever, and I really hope that you are able to stick to your goals and keep working out.
Let me know what you do to keep working out down below. :)

Have a good day and week. :)


Love, Jacqueline Xx



No comments:

Post a Comment