Monday 18 April 2016

Redecorating Your Room In 7 Steps



 Welcome to new post!

Whilst I am kind of on a little study break till May; since there aren't any exams at the minute, I have really been into redecorating my room. I've been wanting to do that for like 2 years now I guess, but never actually did it. We've changed my furniture over the past few years though, so gladly, that was nothing I had to worry about as I had already chosen much mature and grown-up pieces and colours. 

It's still pretty IKEA based (not the typical German blogger girl IKEA room, but still a lot of IKEA), and if I could I would pick maybe a different layout and design for the shelves, but to be honest, I don't have that much money and if I did that I wouldn't like it either after a few months, since I get bored of my room quite easily. I just love a change. 

My room definetely isn't screaming 'INTERIOR DESIGN GENIUS', but I have always loved redecorating and moving my room around, and I spend hours and hours and hours looking for inspiration. I can already hear my purse screaming on the day I will decide to move out. 

However, though it has taken me so long to actually do something, I have come up with quite a little list or routine of things to think of and do when redecorating a room. I thought I'd share that with you, and maybe I am able to help at least a few of you that are a bit bored of their room as well.

1) Brainstorm

To start with you should ask yourself a few questions. Maybe write them down in order not to forget anything and end up being mad yourself after spending tons of money on new stuff. Mindmaps are great for this kind of stuff, and you create tons of different categories to write your ideas down. If you are more artsy, why not draw it all?

Ask yourself.

Why do you want to change your current design of your room? 

What do you want to change? 

Do you want to go all out and repaint, buy new furniture etc or do you just want to get some new decoration for your walls and shelves? 

What are you looking for in particular? 

Do you have a certain vibe in mind that you want to your room to represent?

2) Budget

How much are you able and how much do you want to spend? Set yourself a certain price that you don't want to pass, to keep your whole budget in mind and not spend money you don't have or shouldn't have spent. Do you want to properly invest or would you rather buy cheaper stuff, buy bigger pieces whenever you have saved up for them or do it all in one go?


 3) Get inspiration

This is probably one of my favourite parts of redecorating, maybe plainly because I love photography and looking at other peoples rooms and houses. 
The place that I found the most inspiration on was definetely WeHeartIt. They have such great pictures on there, making you want to own 20 houses to decorate. I've put together a little inspiration board for my own room, click HERE to have a little look. 

Another page is also Pinterest, though I personally prefer looking at pictures instead of blogs for home inspo. Instagram is also a place where you can find tons of people posting their pictures under hashtags like #roominspiration #roominspo or #homedecor, for example. 
Last but not least, is Bloglovin', which I love for any kind of inspiration that I am looking for, as it combines so many different things. HERE you can find another little inspiration board that I have created for home design.

4) Measure your room

I feel like this is the part a lot of people tend to forget before they go homeware shopping. Measuring your room, especially the parts of that you want to redecorate is so important and helpful! I cannot tell you how often I have stood in front of certain things and thought "Wow, I love that piece, but I am really not sure wether it isn't too big for that space." It is so annoying, trust me! If you find that step as boring as I do, just pop on a good Spotify playlist or some Youtube videos, and time will pass a lot quicker!

5) Make a shopping list

Now that you have measured your room and found tons of inspiration, it is time to write a list. Some people might prefer doing that in their head, but I personally prefer writing it down. 
Write down everything that you want to get or have a look at in the shops. Don't think that you will be able to go to one shop and get everything, because if you have that mind set, the chances are high that you won't even find half of the things that you were looking for. Maybe you could even DIY a few pieces or freshen up some older bits 'n bobs?

Also have a think about what shops you want to go to, in order to get the things on your list. What do you need, and where are you going to get it? There's tons of possibilites! There's IKEA and other furniture shops, home decor shops, tools shops, and also Etsy and other online shops to find stuff at that you might like and want to get!

6) Declutter

This is actually a step that I only follow when I'm in the mood for it, but something that you maybe should consider doing, especially when you are thinking of buying new shelves or a wardrobe, for example. This is obviously not a must, but we all know that satisfying feeling of a fresh and decluttered drawer.


7) Go shopping, redecorate and give away

The time has finally come to go shopping! You've got your inspiration, your measurements and your shopping list, so now it's time to actually go for it. Redecorate your room, and whatever you feel like you won't need anymore you can give it away to friends, family or to charity. I am wishing you a lot of fun doing this, because who doesn't love a good shop around IKEA looking for some new bits to decorate and funk up your room! ;)


I am hoping that I was able to help you at least in the slightest, and that now you are ready to take it on and redecorate the room you've been bored of for so long! :) Please leave me some of your favourite stores and pages for home inspiration and shopping as well, and we can all give each other a little more inspiration! :)

Have a great week! ♥


Love, Jacqueline Xx

No comments:

Post a Comment