Saturday 13 August 2016

Harry Potter And The Cursed Child Review (SPOILER FREE)


Welcome to a new post!

If you are reading this, there's a pretty pretty high chance you are quite interested in Harry Potter, or you at least care enough about my blog to open this post even if you hate it (That isn't very likely, is it? I mean, who doesn't like Harry Potter :o).

I feel like pretty much the whole world of Social Media was screaming inside and online when a new story about our favourite characters was announced, even if it's originally a play. I literally felt so bad for not pre-ordering it, but that made it even more exiting to find it in an actual book store - a new English book in a German book store? That's about as likely as being killed by....I actually can't think of anything oopsie :D Anyway, it's not very likely to find a book like that in English in a German book store, that early after is publication date, but I guess since it is Harry Potter, it is a lot more likely. Wow, I just used that word a lot in the past few sentences. I nearly yelled around the book shop when I saw three copies left of it - IT WAS EVEN ON DISPLAY FOR ANYONE TO SEE LIKE WHAT?! Thank goodness, my friend already knew I was crazy, and if she wasn't sure before, she has to be now. I was literally more exited than a little child on Christmas morning. You Potterheads out there will get me.

I started reading at 40 past midnight, less than 5 minutes after finishing my school book, and even though I had a little bit of a busy day, I was done with it at 10pm. Can you tell I was exited? I guess you can? I mean, I was only small when I read Harry Potter, I must've been 8 or 9, around the time the last book was just about to come out, and I never had the chance to buy the books myself. Now, 9 years after the Deathly Hallows, we finally get a new chapter, and that's way too good to be real. I knew straight away, that I would want to do a whole review about the book, so I made some notes, and thought I would tell you what I thought of the book.

As I get, that not everyone has read the book yet, I am going to post both a review that contains spoilers, and one that is spoiler free. If you are wondering, you have just landed on the SPOILER FREE one. If you would rather like to read the one that contains spoilers, and goes a little more into depth, click HERE (This one isn't up at the point that I am uploading this post, but it will be linked asap, meaning as soon as I finish writing it!)


For anyone who doesn't know what the hell I am talking about - yes, there's a new freaking Harry Potter book. Yet, it isn't the same as it was. This isn't just another Hogwarts adventure of our favourite trio - it's both a play and a book! Yes, you've heard right. Together with John Tiffany and Jack Thorne, J. K. Rowling sat together and created a play, focusing not only on Harry, Ron, Hermione and the rest of the crew, but also a lot on Harry's and Ginny's son Albus. The play is currently happening in London, and as I've heard now sold out till October or November 2017 - yay to all of us people sitting at home, crying because we ain't able to go and see it :(. If you want to find out more about the play, HERE is a link to it's website, which will tell you more about it.


To start off, here's the official summary of the book:
(Source: https://www.amazon.de/Harry-Potter-Cursed-Child-Production/dp/0751565350)

Based on an original new story by J.K. Rowling, John Tiffany and Jack Thorne, a new play by Jack Thorne, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child is the eighth story in the Harry Potter series and the first official Harry Potter story to be presented on stage. The play will receive its world premiere in London's West End on 30th July 2016. It was always difficult being Harry Potter and it isn't much easier now that he is an overworked employee of the Ministry of Magic, a husband, and father of three school-age children. While Harry grapples with a past that refuses to stay where it belongs, his youngest son Albus must struggle with the weight of a family legacy he never wanted. As past and present fuse ominously, both father and son learn the uncomfortable truth: sometimes, darkness comes from unexpected places.

So now, let's get into the actual book!

The book is split into two parts, as the play is 5 hours long, and each part takes place at a different time of the day, as far as I know. Each contains two acts, and several scenes. At the end of the book, you are going to find a list of the original cast, the creative and production team, biographies of the original story team and the Acknowledgements. I've also just found out that they will be selling the Special Rehearsal Edition until early 2017, when they are going to publish a definitive edition of the script.


The first scene of the first part and act starts exactly where Deathly Hallows ended, 19 years after the battle of Hogwarts. This is where we've all met our favourite trio's kids before. Harry and Ginny had James, Albus and Lily, Ron and Hermione had Hugo and Rose, for anyone that can't remember.

The new story follows to story lines, that meet at certain points, more towards the beginning and ending. One obviously mainly follows Harry, Hermione and Ron, whereas the other one mainly focuses on Harry's and Ginny's son Albus Severus.

The first new scene we find, is the one where Albus and Rose walk around the Hogwarts express, trying to find their future friends, as they feel like that is the time they need to do it, just like their parents did. That is also the scene where we first properly meet Draco's son Scorpius, who will become a pretty big role throughout the story I'd say, not to tell you too much.

Throughout the first few scenes, there are quite a few time jumps, which will probably work out fine in the play, but reading it, I have to be honest - it's a little boring. I guess this part was made to be able to understand Albus and his character a little better. The actual story that we are going to follow, then starts in Albus' third year at Hogwarts.

Talking about time jumps - time kind of has a big role in this whole new story. In what way, you have to find out yourself. I'm not that much of a fan of stories that are all about that time stuff, but this one was actually quite interesting.



Throughout the story Albus and his best friend, get up to a lot of bad stuff. Like our trio did a lot of shit, but those two definitely don't stand behind with what they do. Damn, I was so scared at some points for these characters. It was really grabbing, especially in the middle part of the story. You could really feel with these characters while they went through that stuff, which I found really amazing despite the fact that we don't have Joanne's usual descriptions of everything whilst reading this story.

We also meet a lot other characters and places from the other books again, some you wouldn't expect, some you would, some you don't want to meet again I guess. I'm not going to tell you too much though.

Oh my god, and there's some lovely quotes by Ron spread over the whole story. I might've enjoyed these a little too much haha.

The book or play, whatever you want to call it, addresses certain topics. It talks about issues between generations, being different and learning to accept that, it talks about how the past will always somehow be part of our present, bravery, sacrifices, trust, and making both right and wrong decisions. It truly covers a lot of topics, that we actually have to deal with ourselves in our every day life, which I find really amazing. I feel like that is one of the reasons, why Harry Potter has become such a massive thing!

When you are coming to read this book, please remember a few things. One being, that this is meant to be a play, not a new book. Another being, that you can't make everyone happy with this thing - there's obviously going to be a few people that won't be happy.

This story is obviously nothing like a happy story without Voldemort, but this is a whole new story, connecting with the old adventures, yet being it's own thing. Yet, it doesn't loose focus on the people that this story was truly about, which I am really happy about. If this story would have let them out of focus, it wouldn't have been a Harry Potter story.

The book is really quick read, especially if you are someone who doesn't take long to read. This mainly happens because of the fact that is written like a script obviously. I can't quite tell whether that's a good thing or a bad thing. For a play, it was probably just right to end here and be that 'quick'. If it would've been written in the way of a proper book, it would've contained about 500 pages more and go a little more into detail, which I am not sure whether it would've been a better decision. But it is what it is, and we've all got to accept that ;).


Talking about it not being written in the way of a proper book though, I've also got to confess that at quite a few points, you could actually tell that Joanne only helped developing this, she didn't exactly write it. Someone who hasn't gone deeply into her writing style, but they might not notice it that much, but for a writer like myself, that truly adores her and her writing style, and so has read the books hundreds and hundreds of times, the characters and events felt different at quite some points. I mean it's okay, but it definitely could've been better. I'm not a big fan of the script format anyway, so don't let me judge that too much. Just don't expect it to be just the same as the rest of the series. It isn't completely terrible, it's just different!

On more of a positive side - there's a hell lot more to find out about our favourite characters, and their kids. Which Potterhead doesn't enjoy finding out more and more bits, every little possible detail? At least I can't get enough of that :D. It gives you such a nostalgic feeling, when you read this, and I bloody loved that feeling whilst reading.

I really made that sound like it's terrible, didn't I? Please don't get me wrong, it definitely isn't terrible at all, in fact it is really lovely. It's just the differences that I haven't got used to yet. I'm pretty sure that's going to happen as soon as I reread it thousands of times  ;)


To sum it all up - even if you shouldn't expect it to be the same as all the other books, simply because it is very different in some ways, I am pretty sure most of you are still going to enjoy it. It's still a really really lovely story, even if it isn't perfect. Especially if you love Harry Potter just as much as I do, this is a must for you - even if you end up hating it.


What do you think? Are you going to read the book? If you have done the Pottermore quiz, let me know what house you are in as well - I need to find some other Hufflepuffs in this world! ;) Who's your favourite character of the whole series? I'd also love to find out what you thought of it, once you've finished it.

Don't forget to read the review that contains spoilers, once you've actually done that. HERE is another link, once that one is up. :)

Have a great day ♥


Love, Jacqueline Xx


No comments:

Post a Comment