Wednesday 2 March 2016

My English Bookshelf


 Welcome to a new post!

Sorry there was no blogpost the past few days, but I didn't really have the time to post anything. I'll hopefully be prewriting the next few days so there won't be another gap!

As some of you might know already, I really quite like reading. Since I have only been reading in English for around two years now, I thought it was the perfect opportunity to show you my English Bookshelf. I don't own as many as I'd look to, as German book stores don't really sell many English books, especially the ones that I want to read. I also own some on my kindle, but I am focusing this mainly on my actual bookshelf. Maybe you can even find some inspiration from it.


First a little overview over my whole bookshelf. This a really plain shelf from IKEA, I think it's a Kallax one, but I am not 100% sure, so please don't blame me if it's wrong. They aren't really in a certain order, but I tried to keep series together kind of at the top left of the shelf. 

First up we obviously have my John Green Collection Box (inlcuding The Fault In Out Stars, Paper Towns, Looking For Alaska, Will Grayson, Will Grayson, and An Abundance of Katherines), which I got for Christmas last year and I absolutely love, though I hated An Abundance of Katherines, as I am absolutely rubbish at Maths :D. All his other books are bloody brilliant though!

Then we have the Divergent Series by Veronica Roth, including Divergent, Insurgent, Allegiant and the extras book Four. The first book is one of my favourite novels of all time, as I love the distopian world they are set in, as well as the main characters Tris and Four, with amazing personalities. A must-read for me!

Last but defintely not least is Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone. Yes, I only own one in English, but that is only because we own all of them in German, and I used to reread it so often, that there is no sense in me buying the whole series in English as well, as I basically know the whole story and all it's details by heart. :D


Then we have another series, which is the Maze Runner one by James Dashner, including The Maze Runner, The Scorch Trials, The Death Cure and The Kill Order. If I wouldn't have bought the whole collection already I probably would have stopped after book two, because it was quite boring, to be honest. The first book however is great and the third one is okay, but I absolutely hated part 2 and 4.

Then we have two of the Pretty Little Liars books, and to be honest I never finished the second one. I just don't really feel like reading them, as I already know the actual story of the TV show, even if it is different in some ways than the one in the books.

And then there's Anna Todd's After series, including After, After We Collided, After We Fell and After Ever Happy. I obviously had to read these because I started reading After as a fanfiction on Wattpad, and you really just cannot stop reading, even if some parts are really slow and not that well written, especially in book three and four, as a certain pattern kept repeating itself. A great series though, especially when you actually have Harry Styles on your mind while reading it :P. 


 I absolutely loved all of Gayle Forman's books that I have read so far, which are If I Stay, Where She Went and I Was Here. Especially the first and the last one are books I would definetely recommend you to read.

Next are two of my Rainbow Rowell books, Fangirl and Eleanor & Park. Everyone seems to love Fangirl, but I personally didn't like it, as I felt like reading a fanfiction on a fanfiction about a fictional story I wasn't interested in.
However I did really like the story Eleanor & Park, which I personally would recommend more than Fangirl.

The perks of being a wallflower by Stephen Chbosky was actually one of the first books I ever read in English, and I am still loving it. I quite like his writing style, as well as the story since it isn't a typical book story, but it kind of still it. Amazing read!

Another amazing read is We Were Liars by E. Lockhart. This book got so hyped about a year ago, and I read it a bit late, but it is honestly one of my favourite books as well because it is so different and the plot twist is INCREDIBLE! Read it, if you haven't done that yet!

Onto my second shelf. We are starting with Jennifer Niven's All The Bright Places. I picked this up around a week after it came out and loved it! Such a heartbreaking story, and beautifully written. Really reminds me of If I Stay.

Then we have Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver. It took me quite some time to read this because I didn't really find the plot that interesting. I felt like it was a bit too repetitive, so I didn't really enjoy it.

Gillian Flynn's Gone Girl was obviously a huge hype because of the film, and I wasn't really sure at first wether a thriller was something for me. I am still not sure of my opinion on it. I didn't absolutely love it, but I didn't hate it either, so it's quite okay I guess.

Stephanie Perkins's series inlcuding Anna and the French Kiss, Lola and the Boy Next Door and Isla and the Happily Ever After, is definetely one of my favourite series. It is a typical romantic school girl series, but it is so beautifully written that you can't even hate it for that. Absolutely love it!

Ava Dellaira's Love Letters To The Dead, was quite a lovely read as well, but nothing I would list on my favourite books list either.

I am obsessed with the The Originals tv show as you might know, and nearly screamed when I saw there was a book of it in the store, as I didn't know about them. Loved it, but also not particularly am obsessed with it, as I really love the show a lot more.

I really really liked The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey though, which I read at the end of last year. I can't wait to see the movie really soon with my friend and also finally read the sequels to it.
The last part of my English bookshelf starts off with Paula Hawkins's The Girl On The Train. Another pretty hyped book, which I completely agree with. I definetely prefer this thriller to Gone Girl, as I kind of prefered the plot and also the characters.

Of course there had to be Zoe Sugg's Girl Online and Girl Online On Tour. Loved both books, though I prefer the first one, as I like that she talks about quite a few topics that people around my age have to deal with. If you'd like a full review on Girl Online On Tour, click HERE.

Then we have Alfie Deyes's Pointless Book and Pointless Book 2. To be completely honest with you, as I have no idea why I actually bought them. It was probably just the thought of getting it, just because it had Alfie's name on it. The only thing that I ever really did in them was the mug cake, so pretty much a stupid purchase I shouldn't have made.

And that is basically the same for Wreck This Journal and Write This Book. They both sounded quite interesting and I really thought I would actually work on them, but I actually never do that.

Then we have Martyn Pig, which I actually only own because we read it in school. I really didn't like the story - basically no one, not even our teacher did, but we were basically forced to read this. Really don't recommend this, as the plot doesn't really make sense at all.

I only own the first Twilight book in English, because it is pretty much the same case as with Harry Potter. I know it way too well. :D

The last one on my shelf is 642 Things To Write About. I bought this to do some more creative writing on holiday, but never actually worked in it. I really want to do that this year though to step a little bit out of my writing comfort zone.


Last but not least are three books on top of my shelf, which are all by youtubers: Life With A Sprinkle Of Glitter by Louise Pentland, Love, Tanya by Tanya Burr and The Glam Guide by Fleur de Force.
I loved all three of them, Love, Tanya in particular, and they are all so pretty as well that I always keep them in sight to decorate my room.


I hope you enjoyed this post, and I didn't bore the hell out of you. :D Make sure to leave me some book recommendations as well, as I love exploring new ones. 


Have a good day. ♥


Love, Jacqueline Xx

No comments:

Post a Comment